In the modern world, our lives are much more intertwined with the digital world than they were even ten years ago. In fact, over half – 53% – of the world’s population can currently access the internet from various mobile devices, with 42%of people having access to the internet in general. Whether you’ve set your sights for a future career as a digital marketer or are want to level-up your skills, certain tactics and steps can be taken to find success in any digital marketing position.
Whether you’ve set your sights for a future career as a digital marketer or are want to level-up your skills, certain tactics and steps can be taken to find success in any digital marketing position.
Between working for yourself as a contact digital marketer and landing a high-level digital marketing position in an organization you admire, there are a variety of jobs available to highly skilled digital marketers. So what can you do to become the adaptable, in-demand digital marketer that companies are seeking? If you’re looking to become the best of the best in this global industry, utilize the following tips to specialize, strategize, and streamline your career as a digital marketer.
1. Attend Networking Events
Although knowledge and information on digital marketing are widely available from sources such as podcasts and online articles, investing in a trip to a professional conference offers you benefits that other informational sources just can’t.
At these conferences – also known as networking events – you have the opportunity to listen to global industry experts, take advice from best-in-class digital marketing professionals and get a glimpse of the direction that the digital marketing industry is heading in. These conferences are often full of interesting events, workshops, and lessons, all geared to help you enhance your skill set and expand your understanding of why you do what you do.
Not only these local or international conferences can revamp your professional skills, but they give you the opportunity to build better professional interpersonal relationships. Digital marketing conferences may be one of the best investments you can make in your career as a digital marketer because professional relationships forged at these gatherings may provide high-value referrals or word of mouth employment opportunities.
2. Apply digital marketing on a small scale
- Choose a topic you are passionate about and start a blog about it. Cost: Approx $50 per year for domain and hosting.
- Learn a little about SEO and write SEO optimized articles in your blog.
- Install Google Analytics tracking code and see if you are getting some traffic to your blog. Explore Google Analytics.
- Open an Adwords account and do some keyword research to see what people are searching for in Google to find information on the topic you are blogging about.
- Write more articles and publish on your blog.
- Open a Facebook page dedicated to your blog (apart from your personal page) and share the articles on your Facebook page.
- Promote your page with Facebook advertising. The budget for promotion can be as low as NGN2, 000.
3. Connect with like-minded individuals
As a digital marketer, a large part of what you do is developing communities online. Whether it’s around your personal brand or for a global organisation, an active community can make or break your business. So why wouldn’t you want to be actively involved in a like-minded community of digital marketers?
Active digital marketing communities either online or offline can help you recognise the importance of what you do and how it fits within the ‘big picture’ of your business and your life. When you’re able to communicate your frustrations openly or simply ask a question about an area of digital marketing you’re unfamiliar with, you can gain confidence in your abilities and push yourself to both learn and try new strategies and processes.
4. Engage your audience
- Implement Facebook like box in your blog.
- Embed social sharing buttons in your blog articles. You can do this using WordPress plugin and it is free.
- Sign up for an email marketing service such as Aweber. Costs $20 per month. Also, try MailChimp.
- Embed email signup forms in your blog and collect subscribers. Email subscribers whenever you publish something in your blog.
- Promote your Facebook page through email marketing and in turn also get more email subscribers from your Facebook page.
5. Follow and learn from other digital marketing firms.
If you’re considering or just starting out in a career in digital marketing, making the investment in a professional digital marketing conference may sound like too big of a leap. Luckily, there is a variety of progressive and informative content online geared towards making your career in digital marketing a success.
These digital marketing ‘thought leaders’ have the experience, expertise, and knowledge needed to create digital content that is extremely accessible for beginners. And since most of these thought leaders are digital marketers themselves, they know exactly how to make their informative content easy to find on search engines and across social media platforms.
6. Stay up to date with digital marketing trends
Digital marketing companies like ours work constantly to research consumers and what makes them engage with brands in the easiest and most beneficial way possible.
That said, here are some trends to pay attention to or start applying going forward.
- Social Media Stories
- Google Adwords
- Video marketing
- Voice search
- Visual search
- Customer-Centric Marketing
- Artificial Intelligence.
7. Get certified
If you really want to stand out from your peers in the industry, completing a certified digital marketing course will help. One of the issues facing the digital marketing industry is that there are no barriers to entry. In other words, anyone with a loose grasp of industry terminology can potentially get a position in a company.
As this industry matures, recruiters are becoming more savvy about what differentiates a candidate that can talk the talk, but maybe will be a costly mistake for the company.